Skin is the largest organ the body has, yet is often neglected or overlooked. While some may have a complicated 14-step skincare routine before bed each night, some people splash a bit of water and are done with it. The thought of a full skincare routine can be daunting for some, but there are some quick and easy tricks for great skin.
I personally try to follow all of these tips and they work well for me, despite not having a great skincare routine – something I must change!
I wanted to add some honest pictures to this post for context, so below are my slightly sun-scorched (because I didn’t take my own advice!), makeup-free, filter-free pictures. The only edit included is they are brightened slightly because it was a little dark.
1. Cold water refreshes and tightens skin. You can splash your face with it or even dunk your face in a sink full for an instant face-lift. You can use this to feel more toned after a shower too, by running the cold water at the end of it.
2. Wear sunscreen, always. Some might not need it as much as others when it comes to burning, but it should be worn as a shield either way. The sun doesn’t love us as much as we love it. Apply to the face and neck area or use an SPF moisturiser daily.
3. Wear hats. Especially in the sun, they can protect your head and shield your face.
4. Not sure how often to use products? Ideally you cleanse, tone, and moisturise twice a day. Exfoliate with a gentle scrub twice a week.
5. If you don’t have time or can’t be bothered for your daily beauty regime, just use a facecloth while in the shower and give your face a scrub. It will exfoliate and leave you glowing, but shouldn’t replace your every day routine.
6. Do not use standard body soap on your face. It’s usually much harsher on your skin. This was advice from a family member. I don’t know why this one has always stuck with me and I know it’s normal to use it. But I never have and it seems to have worked out.
7. Throw out your old skincare. If, like me, you open a few moisturisers at a time, don’t forget to check how long they last as they can go out of date. The little tub symbol with, for example, 12m, inside shows you that it lasts 12 months.
8. Indulge in a facial once in a while. Even if you do it at home. Take some time to pamper your skin with a face mask or exfoliating brush, for example.
9. Sudocreme is your friend. I use this if I ever get a spot or suffer with anything skin-related. Put it on the affected area and leave overnight. Even when I was a teenager, I’d stick some Sudocreme on a spot before bed and it would dry up and be gone or nearly gone the next day. (Obviously this will not work for everyone, but I urge everyone to try!)
10. Don’t forget your neck and décolletage. This is something that will prevent showing signs of ageing and keep your body in line with your face. Sunscreen and moisturiser should be used in these areas too. You can use your face moisturiser and just bring it down further.
11. Mix foundation with moisturiser for a smooth complexion without heavy makeup.
12. Wash your makeup brushes. You don’t need expensive products or special tools for this. Good ol’ warm, soapy water will do. Lay them flat on a towel until dry.
13. Smile. Everyone looks better and fresher with a smile! If you’re worried about smile lines, think of them as memories that you can wear with pride.
14. Try new things. Your skin changes with your age and the seasons. Don’t be afraid to try new products and see what works for you. For example, during Winter, my skin gets dryer so I use a heavier moisturiser. You can always ask in stores for help deciding on the best products for you.
15. Take pleasure in your beauty ritual. See it as ‘me’ time.
Do you do any of the above or will you be trying any? Do you have any more simple skincare tips? Share your thoughts and ideas in the comments!