Never braved it and made pancakes/crepes from scratch? They’re cheap, cheerful and tasty! Below you can find out how to make the perfect pancakes from scratch and feel the kitchen goddess you were never destined to be! Plus I’ve added some topping ideas – they’re not overly adventurous, but this girl loves good ol’ sugar and lemon so anything more is a bit out there!
I LOVE Pancakes, and Shrove Tuesday is my favourite! This year, it’s on 5th March 2019 – I think that’s the first time I’ve seen it in March – so make sure you’ve got everything you need for the perfect treat!
Also, anyone else associate pancakes with crepes because I definitely do. I think the rise of brunch pancake popularity has altered this a bit so might just be us oldies – sorry!Here’s a simple guide on how to make easy, quick and tasty pancakes! Click To Tweet
You only need 4 every day ingredients:
- 100g plain flour
- 1 large egg
- 300ml milk
- oil or melted butter, for frying
Use a frying pan.
Choose a good one that’s perfectly smooth, small, and non-stick for great pancakes, or a dedicated one like this for perfect pancakes.
How to make them:
- Put the flour, eggs and milk into a bowl or large jug, then whisk to a smooth the mixture.
- Set a frying pan (small or medium) over a medium heat and drop in a bit of oil.
Spread the oil around and when hot, tip your pancake mixture in. Spread the mixture around the pan.
- Fry for about 1 minute on each side until golden. You can pile them up on a plate in the oven to keep them warm as you go along.
- Serve with lemon and sugar or have fun using your favourite fillings. You can roll or fold the pancakes as you wish.
Ta-Dah! You are the perfect pancake maker!
Filling and topping ideas:
- Lemon and sugar – the classic!
- Cooked apple and golden syrup
- Strawberry and chocolate
- Chocolate and ice cream
- Lemon and raisins (you can cook the raisins into the mix too!)
- Strawberries and cream
- Bacon and maple syrup
Will you be making pancakes this Shrove Tuesday? What’s your favourite pancake topping or filling?