Pretentious fashion post is a go! I’ve been watching the new series of Orange is the New Black and the title inspired me into thinking about how to wear orange, a bright and fun colour that is somewhat restricted when it comes to styling.
Orange is the New Black
A great way to make a prison drama more appealing to women (whether you like it or not, it’s true!), ‘(insert colour) is the new black’ is a fashion phrase most common in the 90’s and early 00’s. Is there ever a new black anymore? Or are people less uniform than they used to be?
I’ve never been one for orange, but I’m seeing it a little differently lately and actually want to try some. Check out a few of my finds:
How to wear orange
So what can you wear with orange? It’s not as scary as it seems. I’m not giving any set rules, do what you want! However, I do have some tips that you may or may not ignore.
1. Avoid black, unless it’s Halloween. It’s too much of a risk, and why wear it when other colours can compliment orange so well? I think black jeans and orange are fine, but tie it together with a black and orange scarf or something.
2. Pairing it with yellow will create the ultimate summer outfit! How summer can you get? Really?
3. Wear it with brown. Brown sandals and bag will tone it down and keep it (almost) neutral.
4. Denim! Denim never fails us. An orange top with pretty much any colour denim works.
5. White is a great colour to work with orange. Accessorise with gold or blue and you’re onto a winner!
6. Gold jewellery is perfect with orange. Or a mixture of both.
7. Navy blue is great too, and again mix up the accessories, including some white.
8. With pink! Pink and orange look great. I have seen a lot of people pair it with red too, but I think that’s a bit much. You want the orange to take the spotlight.
9. Now for my favourite, orange and purple! But it can go oh so wrong!
Just look at this lot. No no no! There’s still a risk of Halloween-esque style, but it can work. Promise!
10. Not brave enough to wear orange clothing? Accessorise with it instead.
11. Use a pop of orange in your makeup look!
And when you feel more comfortable, you can go all out like Katy Perry!
Do you think orange is a wearable colour? Do you wear bright colours and if so, do you have a favourite?
Originally posted June 2015, updated August 2018