Yeah, yeah another one of those posts. Every blog, website, Facebook page you follow is probably banging on about what 2017 is all about for them at the moment, but I’m going to join in…because I want to.
I’ve never really been one for New Year’s resolutions, because I’m cynical and hate bandwagons and am generally a downer on anything that’s a bit gimmicky. However, I do like spending time reflecting on my year and seeing what changes I’d like to make. I think if I call them resolutions then I’m setting myself up for a fall, and acting like they’re just a new year goal, rather than a whole year change. So I guess that even though I say I don’t do resolutions, I do, and just pretend I’m cool by calling them something else.
This year, I really want to make some major changes. I know everyone says that every year, but I’ve done all of the things I enjoy for a while, and think it’s time I did some different fun things. Like eating salad and saving, wooo!
My 20s have been incredible, I had a lot of fun putting on too much weight, getting too drunk, and spending far too much money. This year (this month!), I am 30. And if there’s anything that will make you feel like you need to sort your life out, it’s that magical number. I know my 30s will be great too, but I worry that if I go into them like I did at 20 – partying, bingeing, shopping, and lazing – 40 year old Tina will have a right go at me. I want to start taking care of myself now.
This Year I Will…
- Lose weight. I used to say get fit, but in all honesty, a bit of both needs to happen for a healthier me. Ultimately, I want to lose 3 stone, but if I could do part of that this year, I’ll be happy.
- Learn to drive. I really must sort this out now! I’ve planned to learn since I turned 17 and it just never happened. For one reason or another (no money, no motivation, fear) I haven’t and I know it’ll make my life better.
- Eat right. This ties in with the lose weight point, but I want to make sure my body is getting what it needs, and not just less of what it doesn’t.
- Learn a language. I want to learn to speak Welsh this year. I can read it quite well, but only because I can figure out certain parts from school – thanks, Teach! I’m also liking the idea of trying Dutch. I’m useless at languages so it should be interesting.
- Progress my career. In whichever way, I’d like to make sure I’m happy with what I’m doing each day.
- Go on holiday! Ryan and I STILL haven’t been on holiday together. We tried just before Christmas, but couldn’t manage the same time off work. This year it’ll happen!
- Check out new cities. I think because we’ve had new jobs, or things to do in the last couple of years, we’ve been missing out on exploring the good ol’ UK. We want to see some more cities and towns on weekends. Suggestions welcome!
- Explore more locally. I’ve done so much in Leeds/Yorkshire over the past few years, but there’s still so much more to see!
- Learn calligraphy and hand lettering. This is something I on/off indulge in, but I want to do it more often and really get to grips with it.
- Buy a property. We’re almost there!
- Improve this blog. Obviously I love this space of mine, but I want to make sure I’m happy with the way it is, take charge of it and stop blagging my way through!
- Look decent! You know that feeling when you’ve sorted your eyebrows and painted your nails? Well I’d like that more than once every two months! Might even get regular haircuts. Look at me go!
- Read 20 books. That might not sound like a lot to you, but I’m terrible for starting a book and not finishing it. I don’t read actual books very often and although each year I say I’ll ‘read more’, not setting a number means it could be 2 books or 100 magazines (easily done for me!).
- Get organised. I can be super organised when needed, like in work, etc. But my personal and social life totally lacks organisation. Which is amazing considering the amount of planners and books on it that I own!
I’m sure there’s plenty more, but that’ll do for now! I’m feeling quite determined to not let another slip me by with old habits, and a far too excessive lifestyle. There are a few things I wish I’d done earlier, but it’s too late to think about that, and never too late to start!
I have done a goals post before, but it was just sitting on my blog and nowhere useful, so I’m going to actually make a plan for each of these ones in order to make sure they’re achieveable and can be monitored. I’m just so sensible, aren’t I? I’ll be using my bullet journal properly this year too and making sure that I am tracking each of these goals.
What would you like to do or change this year? Feel free to link me to a post if you have one! I love reading them for inspiration. Comment with your 2017 goals!