A&E

I can’t believe I forgot to put this in my August catch up, but last month I went to A&E (Emergency Room for non-Brits) for the first time! How exciting! I was out having dinner with a friend and all of a sudden, my lip felt strange. Almost numb. I told my friend and she said it was swelling. I didn’t believe her and thought she was messing about. Her laughter didn’t help. That’s until she passed me a mirror. I had a growing lip!

I’ve never reacted to anything before and we were close to the hospital so I decided to go and get it checked out.  I was given an anti-allergy tablet, and tests to check I’m in good health, but was told not much else could be done on the night. As soon as my lip felt a bit less odd and looked less swollen, I left. This was all fine, nothing impressive, but A&E had served it’s purpose.

The next day I received a text message. Hardly any battery as usual!

nhs hospital text

Well isn’t the whole world bloody technology obsessed. I can rate my time at A&E! What a time to be alive!

Except I’m pretty sure anyone who goes there has no choice. Is there one next door with the same services that I am unaware of?
Oh you cracked your head open, wouldn’t bother with A&E, the service is just dreadful. No, just sit and hope you heal instead. There’s a lot of blood? Did you not hear what I just said about the staff?
There is no rating for cleanliness, friendliness, time or general helpfulness. Just if I’d recommend.
P.S. The toilets were smelly and I couldn’t find a hand sanitiser in the hall so had to wash my hands then touch a dirty toilet door, then sit with ill people. Other than that it was fine, but not great.

Have you been to A&E before? Do you think this feedback is neccessary?

Tina x

• Reply Brad

I totally disagree – I love A&E and frequently visit for coffee and catch up with friends. I would definitely recommend to a friend 🙂

6 September 2016 at 23:14

Hahaha! 😂 I clearly missed the best part about being there X

6 September 2016 at 23:16
  • Reply Erin

HA! This is so weird! Why would they need that kind of feedback? Why would they do that to themselves? Here, everyone complains about long wait-times to get seen once they’re checked in, but it isn’t as if there is a lot that could be done about that (beyond hiring enough staff which is apparently impossible). So odd… Mind you, I’ve never been to an emergency room for myself, so maybe there are tons of issues behind the scenes (though I doubt it).

I’m glad everything is okay with you, though!

Erin | Explore, Refresh

6 September 2016 at 23:18

Yeah, same here! As far as I know people don’t love the place! I’m amazed they ask for feedback, especially for feedback about recommending. I’d hope nobody has to go there. And thank you, I’m fine, just a weird reaction to something apparently xx

7 September 2016 at 13:16
  • Reply georgienicks

They may as well be asking you to rate the NHS in its entirety haha 😛 That is funny though! Like you said: as if you have a choice? I’ve only been to A&E to accompany other people, and it’s usually not an enjoyable experience. Hope all is okay now!

Georgie xo

7 September 2016 at 18:45

Haha exactly. Thank you, all is fine. Just some odd reaction. I’ve never been in one before, but I can’t imagine anyone has much fun there x

8 September 2016 at 09:36
  • Reply Vee O'Sullivan

I remember one of my first times in A&E was on oxygen for a headache. I can’t say I got a feedback form, though – that’s crazy! Hhah. I really love this last paragraph, made me actually chuckle out loud.

With love, V. ♥

27 September 2016 at 22:15

Oh no, that doesn’t sound good. Haha, yeah I was just amazed that this is now a thing! x

28 September 2016 at 10:55
  • Reply Holly

There are some counties that have more than one A&E though, you might recommend one over another x

4 October 2016 at 11:24

Oh really? They prob do in Leeds then. I’d just go to the closest one I think! X

4 October 2016 at 12:21
  • Reply rosie

hahaha it’s like the time I was in hospital and suddenly started getting emails about funeral plans ..erm…RUDE haha! what was the case with your lip though as my boy get’s that swollen lip thing but we never know why x

4 October 2016 at 17:22

Wow! Bit harsh, haha. I think it was salt now actually, too much of it. I felt the same tingle eating some Pringles haha, so that’s what I’m thinking, but my it was big! Maybe I had a cut in my lip or something, but the allergy tabet seemed to help so not entirely sure x

11 October 2016 at 09:58